Kildysart GAA

Founded 1886

Co. Clare

O’Connor’s Goal Forces a Draw

Download our mobile app to hear more about Kildysart GAA.

See More
11/05/2024:  Keith O’Connor had an outstanding game and topped it off with an immense goal deep into injury time to force a draw with Breckan’s, 1-10 apiece.  Kildysart were down 4 points with 4 minutes to go and were still a goal adrift with 3 minutes added time already played.  Then Mikey Donnellan was fouled and in the resultant free, dropped a super ball into the square.  O’Connor grabbed it from the sky, turned and fired to the lower right corner.  All square in the spa town at the final whistle, Kildysart 1-10, St. Breckan’s 1-10.

The visitors were the first on the scoreboard when Jack Cotter pointed in the fourth minute.  Breckan’s countered with a free and then Fergal Ginnane, in his first league match of the year, popped over a score.  Kildysart went ahead by two after a fisted effort by Michael Eustace was flicked over the bar by Conor Cusack.  Breckan’s came back with two more scores and it was level at 3 points each heading into the second quarter.  Mikey Donnellan broke the deadlock with a lovely score and then Keith Murphy capitalised on a bad kickout to put two between them once more.  Three in a row from Breckan’s saw the home side go in front for the first time before Donnellan restored parity just before the short whistle, Kildysart 0-6, Breckan 0-6.

Breckan’s started the second half with a goal inside the first minute but points from Donnellan and Conor Hassett reduced the deficit to just one in the 35th minute.  Breckan’s returned with a brace to go ahead by 2.   A free from Hassett, along with a goal save by Kieran Eyres in the 49th minute, kept Kildysart in touch.  Another brace from Breckans left Kildysart 4 points in arrears with 4 minutes on the clock.  Another free from Hassett as the clock signalled the hour mark left a goal between the sides, Kildysart 0-10, Breckan’s 1-10.  In the 63rd minute, Donnellan won a free which was brought forward due to Breckan’s not releasing the ball and time wasting.  There was only one thing for it.  Donnellan sent a high ball into the square and Captain Fantastic did his magic.  Final score: Kildysart 1-10, St. Breckan’s 1-10.  Referee: John O’Connell.

Kildysart:  Kieran Eyres, Fergal Ginnane (0-1), Kieran Leahy, Stevie Sheehan, Michael Eustace, Conor Moloney, Oisin Coyle, Kieran O’Brien, Keith O’Connor-captain (1-0), Ryan Casey, Conor Hassett (0-3, 2f), Mikey Donnellan (0-3), Jack Cotter (0-1), Keith Murphy (0-1), Conor Cusack (0-1).  Subs: Mark Moloney for Ginnane (HT), Conall Casey for R. Casey (43 min), Colm Finucane for Cusack (58 min).

This was an important point for Kildysart in the Cusack Cup table as the competition nears the end.  Kildysart are joint 5th with their next opponent Doora Barefield on 4 points so round 6 will be a crucial decider.  Ennistymon remains on max points (10) after a scare v KIB.  Miltown are on 7, followed by Lissycasey (6) and KIB (5).  Clondegad and Breckan’s are on 2 points with Breckan’s still searching for their first win.

Kildysart is at home for their last two matches, hosting the Parish on Saturday 25th May at 5pm and Ennistymon on Sunday 2nd June. 

Download ClubZap

Get live information for Club on the ClubZap App

App Store Google Play